Mama Juarez’s Molé Sauce
Molé is a traditional Mexican sauce. In DINOSAUR BOY, Sawyer encounters it for the first time at Mama Juarez’s Cucina. It has quite an effect on him.
The following recipe for molé is one of my favorites. It’s pretty straight-forward and takes around 40 minutes to make. If you’d like a more traditional (and much more labor intensive) recipe, try this one from Fonda San Miguel.
Warning: Mama makes her molé spicy! For a milder version, omit the chipotle peppers and substitute marinara sauce for the red chile sauce. If you want to go even hotter, double the chipotles!
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup New Mexico Red Chile Sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 oz chocolate (preferably Ibarra, or a good quality dark chocolate)
- 2-3 pieces of bread (stale is ok)
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, cook until they are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, and chipotle peppers. Stir until coated. Cook for one more minute.
- Add the vegetable stock, the chile sauce, and the chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Pour into a food processor (or blender) and puree. Add the bread one piece at a time until the sauce is nicely thickened.
When the sauce is finished, it will look like this. Enjoy it on enchiladas, chile rellenos, or even salad greens (the way Sawyer does). Sometimes, I double the chocolate and just eat it with a spoon!