NUTRI NUGGETS (Cocoa Flavored)
From DINOSAUR BOY SAVES MARS (Chapter 10):
“There was a box of these on the counter,” my grandfather said, tossing me something wrapped in plastic.
The package was small, no larger than my palm. But it was surprisingly heavy in my hand. I turned it over so I could see the label.
“Nutri Nugget,” I read. “One-third of your daily nutritional needs. Cocoa flavored.”
“They’re all the rage here,” my grandfather informed me.
Inside the package was a soft, brown, vaguely rectangular object that looked disturbingly like—
“A turd,” Venetio said through a mouthful of eggs. Swallowing, he nodded confidently to himself. “That’s what they look like. Turds. Taste like ’em too.”
I set the unopened nugget on the table in front of me.
“Maybe I’ll try the eggs.”
Contrary to what Venetio says, your Nutri Nuggets will not taste like turds as long as you make them like this:
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups Cocoa Puffs*, divided
½ cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, whatever you’ve got) or nuts (again, whatever you’ve got, as long as you’re not allergic)
¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup soy nut, sun nut, or peanut butter
2 TB butter
6 cups miniature marshmallows
- Put the oats, 1 cup of the Cocoa Puffs, the seeds (or nuts), the cocoa powder, and the sugar into a food processor and pulverize until everything is ground down to a powder. Stir in the second cup of Cocoa Puffs and pulse once just to mix things around (not enough to crush them – you want them whole for texture!)
- Melt both kinds of butters in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the miniature marshmallows and stir until the entire mixture is melted and smooth.
- Pour the Cocoa Puffs mixture into the saucepan and stir until everything is coated (a butter-smeared spoon works best for this). Butter an 8×8 glass baking dish and spread the mixture around so it reaches all the corners and is flat.
- Let cool until hard. Cut into pieces (turd-shaped pieces are entirely optional) and enjoy!
* Cocoa Krispies also work in this recipe, but my taste-testers preferred the ones made with Cocoa Puffs